Service is really a beautiful word. Service means respect. When we serve others we're part of the human race. ~Keep It Simple
Today I am grateful…
- to have attended the meeting last night where I got sober. The topic was helping others. A 12th step is what brought me back into the program. I am reminded of what it was like—often. I have to be reminded because my rememberer is broken.
- for smart, loving, funny-as-hell friends
- for vigilance. It’s so different not running into as many walls as I once did.
- that I don’t always have to know why. Sometimes the answer is because.
- to have answered ‘yes’ last night when my brain was screaming ‘NO!’ It was in answer to something that might help my painting career, the no came from fear.
The majority of us lead quiet, unheralded lives as we pass through this world. There will most likely be no ticker tape parades for us, no monuments created in our honor. But that does not lessen our possible impact, for there are scores of people waiting for someone just like us to come along; people who will appreciate our compassion, our encouragement, who will need our unique talents. Someone who will live a happier life merely because we took the time to share what we had to give. Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. It's overwhelming to consider the continuous opportunities there are to make our love felt. --Leo Buscaglia
There is no such thing as complete acceptance. When you can remember a loss with a little distance and much less pain, you have accepted the loss and mourned it fully. You accept that life is different now and move on. ~David Viscott