IF THE ONLY PRAYER YOU SAID IN YOUR LIFE WAS "THANK YOU", THAT WOULD SUFFICE. ~Meister Eckhart

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

01.20.10

Service is really a beautiful word. Service means respect. When we serve others we're part of the human race. ~Keep It Simple

Today I am grateful…

  • to have attended the meeting last night where I got sober. The topic was helping others. A 12th step is what brought me back into the program. I am reminded of what it was like—often. I have to be reminded because my rememberer is broken.
  • for smart, loving, funny-as-hell friends
  • for vigilance. It’s so different not running into as many walls as I once did.
  • that I don’t always have to know why. Sometimes the answer is because.
  • to have answered ‘yes’ last night when my brain was screaming ‘NO!’ It was in answer to something that might help my painting career, the no came from fear.

tumblr_kul00yezws1qzx1e0o1_400

The majority of us lead quiet, unheralded lives as we pass through this world. There will most likely be no ticker tape parades for us, no monuments created in our honor. But that does not lessen our possible impact, for there are scores of people waiting for someone just like us to come along; people who will appreciate our compassion, our encouragement, who will need our unique talents. Someone who will live a happier life merely because we took the time to share what we had to give. Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. It's overwhelming to consider the continuous opportunities there are to make our love felt.  --Leo Buscaglia

There is no such thing as complete acceptance. When you can remember a loss with a little distance and much less pain, you have accepted the loss and mourned it fully. You accept that life is different now and move on. ~David Viscott

12 comments:

Unknown said...

My rememberer is marginal..it is my thinker that malfunctions daily...

Namaste

Lou said...

"Accepting loss and moving on'. Love it.

JeremyRT said...

Thank you for these wonderful reminders

dAAve said...

Which meeting did you attend last night? DD?

"choose LOL"
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Reacting through fear is a character defect many of us share. ...Especially loved the quotes today!

Garykfc said...

Ah, acceptance and moving on are my current mode of life. What freedom.

Ed G. said...

...ready and willing to move on.

Blessings and aloha...

Syd said...

Helping others can be frustrating at times but is so necessary for me. I've been a helper all my life so I strive for balance now.

Bill said...

I have a big ol' eraser in my brain, so I'm glad I'm in a program full of reminders.

Also, thank you for the quotation by Leo Buscaglia. It reminded me of my mother. After she died & I read her recent diary entries, I was amazed to learn that she did something for another person every single day, quietly and with no fanfare.

Mary Christine said...

I want that shirt.

Pammie said...

My brain never screams NO!
It does however come up with a few "OH HELL NO!"

S. Susan Deborah said...

All the three writings are to be practiced on an everyday basis.

Have a lively and fruitful weekend Scott.

Joy always,
Susan