The essence of all growth is a willingness to change for the better and then an unremitting willingness to shoulder whatever responsibility this entails. ~Bill W
Today I am grateful…
- for the lenses ordered for my new eyeglasses. Even with a $50 discount they cost close to a month’s rent. Ridiculous. Good news—I may get to barter for my next pair.
- for AA meetings. They are the best show in town.
- for my friend, the editor, schooling me on the overuse of the word ‘that’. She said it was the one of the most overused word. If a sentence can be stated with out ‘that’, then drop it.
- for friends who find Scrabble and flatulence fun. Seriously.
- for a heart that stays light despite the fact my mind wants to make it fearful
Lying can be like sailing choppy waters. The more we lie, the higher the waves get, and the harder the sailing. When we lie, we feel we've failed ourselves and others. We have to work hard to cover up our lies, and the fear of someone finding out is always with us.
If we ask God for courage to tell the truth, we can be like the sailboat on a clear and calm day. We can enjoy the small waves and the light warm breeze we've given ourselves. Honesty is a good habit, and is easy. With a little faith in our own worth, we can choose the calm waters' honesty and apply our creativity to new, growth-oriented activities instead of covering up old mistakes. ~Today’s Gift