IF THE ONLY PRAYER YOU SAID IN YOUR LIFE WAS "THANK YOU", THAT WOULD SUFFICE. ~Meister Eckhart

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

04.01.08

Humility is a tricky thing. I think it is a gift from God given to the willing. ~Mary Christine
Today I am grateful...
  • for Sunday and Monday without work, but with plenty of me time
  • that I can ask for prayers for my friend M, who wrote this one line yesterday: I am self destructing
  • that I have lots of loved ones
  • that the most elegant things in life are the most simple things
  • for the sustaining power of God

But again we are driven on by the inescapable conclusion which we draw from A.A. experience, that we surely must try with a will, or else fall by the wayside. At this stage of our progress we are under heavy pressure and coercion to do the right thing. We are obliged to choose between the pains of trying and the certain penalties of failing to do so. These initial steps along the road are taken grudgingly, yet we do take them. We may still have no very high opinion of humility as a desirable personal virtue, but we do recognize it as a necessary aid to our survival. ~pp. 73-74, 12&12

7 comments:

Syd said...

I like Dr. Bob's prayer on humility:
"Humility is perpetual quietness of heart. It is to have no trouble. It is never to be fretted or vexed, or irritable, to wonder at nothing that is done to me, to feel nothing that is done against me. It is to be at rest when nobody praises me, and when I am blamed or despised. It is to have a blessed home in myself where I can go in and shut the door and kneel to my Father in secret and be at peace, as in a deep sea of calmness, when all around and about is seeming trouble."

Zanejabbers said...

Good quote from MC.

Anonymous said...

To be grateful for everything includes those things you might initially wish didn't happen. yet, as you evolve to find blessings in them all, then unconditional love and forgiveness begin to reveal true identities in your life.

Bill said...

My parents taught me to be humble, but American society places little value on humility. Pride, prestige, and the acquisition of material effluivia are equated with greatness.
Yet, the people I admire the most are those who demonstrated humility every day: Mother Teresa, Saint Francis, and my mom and dad.

peanut said...

Dear Scott,
I'm sorry one of your friends is "self destructing."
Hopefully, his telling someone is a cry for help and his saving grace.

Love you, me

Mary Christine said...

Imagine my surprise to see a quote from MC right there on your blog!

Sorry you have a friend self-destructing. It is hard to watch.

Anonymous said...

you have the best quotes. i'm thankful that i have a lot of loved ones as well, including you.