IF THE ONLY PRAYER YOU SAID IN YOUR LIFE WAS "THANK YOU", THAT WOULD SUFFICE. ~Meister Eckhart

Thursday, March 29, 2007

03.29.07

Even if we aren't able to offer food, shelter, or money, we can offer a blessing as we pass. We can look them in the eye and acknowledge our shared humanness, even if we don't know how to help them. This simple act of kindness and silent or spoken blessings can be helpful to those living on the street. ~DailyOm
Today I am grateful...
  • that 30 years ago I arrived in Houston. I have left a few times but always returned. I have made my life and my home here. My sister lives "back home" in Kentucky, but what I have there is memories. We grew up in the country and from the earliest I can remember I wanted the city life. So I am here and she is there with her land and her family and her horses and dogs and we are both happy. And happy for each other.
  • that the flowers are blooming all along our morning walks
  • that hopefully I started walking early enough to grow accustomed to the heat when it arrives (any day now)
  • that my life today, trying to walk in the will of a Higher Power (or Universal Consciousness), is vastly superior to the old lying and dying days
As a member of Alcoholics Anonymous, I have found that the Third Legacy is a fertile soil in which to plant the tree of my sobriety. The fruits I harvest are wonderful: peace, security, understanding and twenty-four hours of eternal fulfillment; and with the soundness of mind to listen to the voice of my conscience when, in silence, it gently speaks to me, saying: You must let go in service. There are others who must plant the harvest. ~Daily Reflections

4 comments:

Sunshine said...

Aren't the flowers everywhere just wonderful right now? Easy to appreciate now before the heat comes.

Gooey Munster said...

Houston sounds so lovely. Mosst important is how you made it yours, home sweet home.

Pammie said...

Oh I'm happy in houston, and my brother is happy in N. Carolina...and we are happy for each other also. My Azaleas have already dropped off :(
Laura has 15 days sober today :)

Unknown said...

I understand being happy in your surroundings. Flowers are a must. Love it when they come out after the grey winter.