IF THE ONLY PRAYER YOU SAID IN YOUR LIFE WAS "THANK YOU", THAT WOULD SUFFICE. ~Meister Eckhart

Monday, August 14, 2006

1000 Days

We had but two alternatives; one was to go on to the bitter end, blotting out the consciousness of our intolerable situation as best we could, and the other was to accept spiritual help. We became willing to maintain a certain simple attitude toward life. What seemed at first a flimsy reed has proved to be the loving and powerful hand of God. A new life has been given us, a design for living that really works. All of us establish in our own individual way our personal relationship with God. ~Bill W

Today marks the 1000th day since I lost the war. That I was able to surrender to the power of alcoholism is indeed a miracle. Today I have a life that even during the most simple of times is richly full. My spirit gets refreshed daily by prayer and meditation, by sitting in a room of my fellows and hearing about my disease. I walk with my head held high because I can no longer be called a fraud. I have a close relationship with a power greater than my perceived self and I have, at times, had glimpses of the divine.

Today I am grateful to have all I need. To have all I want. To have a lifetime of gratitude inside a single tear.

11 comments:

JJ said...

Well let me be the first to congratulate you on 1000 days. You are my bro in heart and soul.
I see you,
JJ

Tay Hota said...

congrats to you... no small accomplishment indeed...

Scott M. Frey said...

My friend, I am grateful for your courage to finally throw in the towel and surrender. For without that courage and persistence, I would not have had the blessing to have made your aquaintence. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Excellent! Dynamite! WTG!

Congrats...

Pam Jarnagin said...

Wow! That's truly awesome (in a miraculous, spiritual way, not how "the kids" use it). What an inspiration you are, Scott. Congratulations!

Shannon said...

happy 1000
that is one of my sponsors fav readings thanks for sharing it

Carly said...

RIGHT ON! LoveLoveLOVE milestone days. Congrats, Scott!

Mike said...

Happy 1000th birthday. I celebrated 500 days on Saturday when a new relative picked up her 17 year chip and another young man got 30 days.

We are all working on today, one at a time.

Mike

dAAve said...

It only now occurred to me that I didn't congratulate you here yesterday.

dAAve said...

THANKS!

Unknown said...

Happy 1000!