IF THE ONLY PRAYER YOU SAID IN YOUR LIFE WAS "THANK YOU", THAT WOULD SUFFICE. ~Meister Eckhart

Wednesday, February 1, 2006

02.01.06

You should hear how sexy and gravely my voice sounds today. Sort of a cross between Talulah Bankhead and Barry White. Daahhhhling. I woke often during the night, either I had on too many bed clothes or not enough, a touch of fever making all that happen. When I woke this morning I was worried that I might be coming down with strep throat, something I used to get every winter. Since I am just above the starving artist line I had applied for a Harris County Hospital District gold card last winter. I called this morning and the first time they could see me was March 3, or come in as an emergency triage patient. Fortunately when I arrived for my first visit they weren't busy and it only took two and a half hours to be seen by a nurse, then by a PA who swabbed my throat for a culture test (no jokes please Dave) which results showed no strep but all else indicated a sinus infection, and a short wait for my antibiotic prescription to be filled.

I took Conversations with God with me to read, and it put a new perspective on that time and place. I was able to sit and just be. And I might be reading into the ease of proceedings, but it sure seemed that things went smoother than they usually would. Especially after the PA said for me to expect to finish my book before I got to leave.

So I am speaking, when necessary, in a low soft voice because not to tickles and makes me cough like a lung is coming up. Thank God I am in my seventh month as a non-smoker.

I came home, changed clothes and went to Lambda for the Wednesday speaker meeting. The chair had not selected a speaker ahead of time, but asked our own Higher Powered to share his experience, strength and hope, which he did with the usual aplomb. My throat started tickling seriously so I scooted out early and am having some more ginger tea.

I am truly grateful for my clinic visit and the antibiotics, total cost $10. And I am grateful for the following quote from G w/G:

Only humans are judgmental, and because you are, you assume that I must be. Yet I am not--and that is the great truth you cannot accept.

You can bet I am gonna work really hard at learning to accept that.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you had taken the infamous "sidewalk sweet taters" with you I imagine you would have been in and out in no time. But, as it was, I'm glad it didn't take very long. Also glad of the $10 item.

Keep feeling better!

So

dAAve said...

Next time, start farting continuously.
You'll be seen by a doctor and be out of there in 15 minutes.

JJ said...

Oh honey I had that sexy raspy voice going on too. I'm on my second round of antibiotics. This just plain ole sucks. Every bone in my body aches. It's been a long time. Fuck...back to the couch for me.
I see you,
JJ

Shannon said...

well get some rest... and take your meds, stay warm and get better.. I kinda think Daave myst be on to something.. LOL

lash505 said...

Hope you get better better. The raspy throat shit sucks.

Unknown said...

Like I said before we don't appreciate our health until we don't have it. Commit how you feel to memory, it will help when you want to feel grateful about being healthy.

Conversations with God is a great book.

David D said...

I hope you feel better soon! The quote from CwG... it totally changed my perspective on my higher power. I know that my God loves me unconditionally and I am the one doing the judging. He just loves me through it!

Peace and Love.

Scott M. Frey said...

Well,I dont know you, other than being an alkie/addict myself, so I actually know you quite well. Good for you going to the doc and getting fixed up, just got over a sinus inf. myself... I hope you feel better soon.... I really like your art, great blog... I used to live in Houston, really loved it there! HAve a great day and feel better soon!!