IF THE ONLY PRAYER YOU SAID IN YOUR LIFE WAS "THANK YOU", THAT WOULD SUFFICE. ~Meister Eckhart

Sunday, June 5, 2005

Sunday Contemplations

If you don't ask, you don't get.

Prayer is not an old woman's idle amusement. Properly understood and applied, it is the most potent instrument of action.

Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.

Seven sins of life: Politics without principle. Commerce without morality. Wealth without work. Education without character. Science without humanity. Pleasure without conscience. Worship without sacrifice.

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.

My life is my message.

All the above are quotes from the Mahatma Gandhi.

The following was passed on to me by my wonderful landlady.

Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow. -Melody Beattie

5 comments:

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

this beattie book is wonderful.
thank you for reminding me about what i should be grateful for today.

have a good sunday.

Grace said...

Scott, which book is that last quote from? I've read one of her books but dont remeber it?

Scott W said...

Grace, I am not sure which book it comes from, it was forwarded to me.

dAAve said...

You (accidentally) forgot my favorite:

"it takes a village to raise an idiot"

Shoot, bubba, I learnt that bugger in the 7th grade.

Recovery Road London said...

"Seven sins of life: Politics without principle. Commerce without morality. Wealth without work. Education without character. Science without humanity. Pleasure without conscience. Worship without sacrifice."

Fantastic. I'm going to steal that and post it on my blog.

Thanks for that; it made the walk to the netcafe worth the trip.