IF THE ONLY PRAYER YOU SAID IN YOUR LIFE WAS "THANK YOU", THAT WOULD SUFFICE. ~Meister Eckhart

Friday, May 27, 2005

Letting Go

It's time for me to begin the process of letting go of an important person in my life. This is not the letting go of something dangerous, it is the letting go of something comfortable. The letting go of someone who's time on this physical plane is coming to an end.

When I met Randall in 1983 I fell in love with someone who was to change my life. It was not long after I met him that I met his mother, Edie. She was living in a little house in Magnolia, TX and we would often drive up to spend a Sunday with her. She had that comfortable, country gal take on life. Very pragmatic and with a wicked sense of humor, she spent a comfortable life in the woods. From the first time I met her she accepted me as family.

Randall is her only child and she loves him unconditionally. She is a very proud supporter of gay rights. She wears her red ribbon pin whenever she gets dressed up. She loves trains, quilting, true crime novels, feeding company in her kitchen and being a passionate Democrat.

It is being at Edie's for Thanksgiving and Christmas that take a firm place in my memory. Randall, Jim (Randall's current partner of twelve years) and I would go to Waco for the holidays over the years. Edie once told me that she always wanted three sons, and now she had them. Who couldn't love someone who would tell you something like that?

Edie is from a large family and they were all taken away by cancer. Yesterday she got that same diagnosis. She has always struggled against asthma, bronchitis and lately emphysema. The cancer is at a stage where it will take her soon. She has decided against chemotherapy. She is planning her own funeral and is ready to face the next phase with grace and dignity. She is truly the hero of her own life.

Today I am grateful to have loved and to have been loved by such a great woman.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

After I have wiped away the tears from my eyes I can write this comment. I know that Edie has been a very important person in your life, especially after Mother's passing. I never had the chance to meet her (I can only imagine what a hoot that would be) but I have always held her fondly to me because of how she loves you. She will be forever missed. She and Mom will both be watching us all so we must mind our P's & Q's. What a wonderful feeling to know that 2 wonderful women who love and support their sons so much will be looking after us.

Peace be with you So,

I love you

So

dAAve said...

and God said, "Let there be light."

Hannen said...

She sounds like a wonderful woman. I know it's hard but be happy for her. She's going to a better space. She'll always be with you, inside. Love, L.

GodlessMom said...

The world is a better place because of people like Edie. My life has been touched by cancer of late too. It is a horrible, painful thing to see a loved one go through it. You're right, our lives are much richer for knowing the Edies of this world. Peace to you.

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Beautifully written. Letting go, or accepting life on life's terms can be a tall order, especially in the relationship area.

You have been forunate to have someone so wonderful and loving in your life. Blessings and peace.