IF THE ONLY PRAYER YOU SAID IN YOUR LIFE WAS "THANK YOU", THAT WOULD SUFFICE. ~Meister Eckhart

Tuesday, May 3, 2005

April 18, 1926 - May 3, 1999

Mother

My sister posted a comment today that I am turning into her second blog post:

I remember the woman in Mother's nursing home that thought she owned the place, would complain about everyone leaving the lights on and how she was tired of paying such high electric bills. She also took inventory of her purse, saying the silliest things about items, such as KitKat wrappers, etc. Mother and I used to laugh and laugh at her. That was when she still knew who I was and where she was. That didn't last long however. It wasn't long after she entered the nursing home that the ALS and demtia took her from us. She was still there in body, but she had no idea who we were nor what was going around about her. I remember the days that she and I laughed at that woman, Mother would write on her pad funny things--that was how we communicated in those last days that she knew me. Eight years later (after not knowing me or my siblings) she finally passed. It was 6 years ago today at 4:30pm. It was a relief to us that she was finally free of the body and the disease that kept her captive, but it was still hard to say goodbye. But God did allow her to hear my last words to her......"I will see you in Heaven." She then passed and I believe is now singing and laughing in Heaven as we speak. Today has been a hard day for me but I am grateful for her mothering, her friendship and the beauty that she brought into a room. I can only hope that I can be half the loving mother to my kids that she was to us. I remember her telling me once that the most thing that she missed having was a cup of coffee. I miss her greatly but she lives on in my heart, that of my brothers and is always with my family.

So here's to you Mom. Job well done in raising wonderful, productive children while dealing w/a difficult situation while we were growing up. I love you, I admire you, and I know that you now know just how much you did for me.

3 comments:

dAAve said...

Thanks So.
And thanks Scott, for passing that along.

Anonymous said...

Whenever something is written straight from the heart it can never be bad. My daughter read it tonight and printed it to share w/her friends. She is only 13 yrs old and only remembers her Grandma by the strange smell that surrounded her (the "nursing home smell")....something I never want to ever smell again. But she was very touched by it and that in turn touched me. That just goes to show me that Mother IS with us and continues to infuence her grandchild. That is a good thing. Mother was taken from us much too early but she is still in our lives. How lucky we were and how quickly things can change. We should all live each day as though it is our last....tell the ones you love that you love them and treat them w/respect. Lesson learned Mom. Thanks

Lee said...

Beatiful post...thanx for posting.