IF THE ONLY PRAYER YOU SAID IN YOUR LIFE WAS "THANK YOU", THAT WOULD SUFFICE. ~Meister Eckhart

Thursday, June 4, 2009

06.04.09

Our first objective will be the development of self restraint. This carries a top priority rating. ~12 12
.
Today I am grateful...
  • for a life program with concrete solutions. There isn't as much guess work these days.
  • that I no longer think "I guess I will die from drinking."
  • that other people's bad moods used to piss me off, now they serve to calm my own nerves. I like that.
  • for facing big demons one at a time
  • that my life feels full (or 'I have a fat life' as someone recently said)

My disease of obsession and compulsion wants me to place other things at the center of my life: food, alcohol, drugs, people, money, success, achievement and ego.

My spiritual program reminds me that my love of self is shown in my refusal of the first drink. If I am healthy, I can have the world; without me, I can have nothing! ~Fr Leo

7 comments:

Bill said...

"I guess I will die from drinking"
...yes, that is exactly what went through my head every day.
It is a miracle that now I know that I stand the best possible chance of dying sober, and I can look forward to a life of fulfillment and fun in the meantime.

Syd said...

If I am healthy, I can have the world. How true.

Ed G. said...

Now, sometimes I worry that I will die from thinking...

I guess that's an improvement...

Blessings and aloha...

Sage Ravenwood said...

I'm all for facing demons one at at time. They beat the heck out of you, when they gang up on you. (Hugs)Indigo

Mary Christine said...

I'm glad you are alive and sharing this big old world with me.

Zanejabbers said...

Ah yes, the 12 x 12 and Fr Leo. Great bookends for a post. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

that's funny: I have a fat life'

hope you have a good day, scott w.