IF THE ONLY PRAYER YOU SAID IN YOUR LIFE WAS "THANK YOU", THAT WOULD SUFFICE. ~Meister Eckhart

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

03.26.08

Great sages have childlike natures. Before God they are always like children. They have no pride. Their strength is the strength of God, the strength of their Father. They have nothing to call their own. They are firmly convinced of that. ~Ramasrishna

Today I am grateful...
  • that in my actions today I can show that I am bigger than my petty thoughts
  • that the 5th US Circuit Court of Appeals overturned an archaic law, because it gave Nancy Ford a reason to write THIS hilarious article
  • for the joy of giving Lucy and Bunny treats. Bunny acts like it is the first food he has ever had or the last he will ever get, while Lucy sits like a lady and politely accepts the treat
  • that patience in the creative process is rewarded
  • to be one link, in the long chain of recovery
  • that I will strive for an open mind and an open heart today

The humble person makes a realistic assessment of who he is and puts that disillusioned judgment into practice. He does not judge himself to be smaller or larger than he really is. In so doing he avoids despair as well as pride. Consequently, the humble person enjoys the freedom to be who he is. He is not troubled by accidentals, such as reputation, self-interest, or failure. He takes joy in the importance or excellence of what is done rather than in the incidental fact that he happened to be the one who did it. As for illusions, which often consume huge amounts of time and energy, he has none to defend. He is not troubled by feeling obliged to defend an imaginary self to people who do not know who he really is. Nor does he expect others to be who they are not. He has no concern for trading in unreality. He is not a candidate for being victimized by self-pity. He is not likely to be saddened by not being who he cannot be. Because of the priceless freedom to be who a person truly is, Thomas Merton can say that “the beginning of humility is the beginning of blessedness and the consummation of humility is the perfection of all joy." For Confucius, “Humility is the solid foundation of all the virtues”. ~Donald DeMarco

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

where are those dildos? lemme at 'em!

Syd said...

A great example of someone who was humble was Albert Einstein. I'm reading the newest biography and am amazed at the man's humility and warmth. Thomas Merton is a wise man.

Syd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trailboss said...

I'm with Boston! That article was hysterical! I have to bookmark Miss Ford for sure.

Scott Crawford said...

I really came to appreciate humility more when I learned the root is humus, of the earth. Stay low to the ground, smell the soil of your life. Roll around in it like a dog in wet grass.

Zanejabbers said...

Now just tell me why there were not bumper stickers that read
"FREE THE DILLS". Funny article.

Anonymous said...

humilty = to remain teachable.

Bill said...

Hey! How did my entourage get here before I did???
Oh, it's the other Bill's entourage. Excuse the ring.

I'm grinning thinking about Bunny anxious for a treat. I'll bet those eye really pop out then!

Mary Christine said...

Gee, sometimes I think I can just comment without reading whatever article or link there is. But it sounds like I need to read this one!