IF THE ONLY PRAYER YOU SAID IN YOUR LIFE WAS "THANK YOU", THAT WOULD SUFFICE. ~Meister Eckhart

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

08.28.07

I am still learning. ~Michelangelo's motto
Today I am grateful...
  • that day after day I have a strong interest in my sobriety
  • to strive for patience--there are those in my life that test that with their impatience
  • that with concentration for a moment I can find gratitude anytime, anywhere
  • for continuing practice to be non-judgemental, sometimes I actually succeed
  • that being judgemental doesn't just mean what I think about others, it includes what I think about me, about world events, what actions should be taken, what I expect from a situation based on past experience. I just need to stay more and more vigilant.
I was also able to realize that this bonfire of resentment and rage was beckoning me to pick up a drink and plunge in to my death. Then I realized I had to separate my sobriety from everything else that was going on in my life. No matter what happened or didn't happen, I couldn't drink. In fact, none of these things that I was going through had anything to do with my sobriety; the tides of life flow endlessly for better or worse, both good and bad, and I cannot allow my sobriety to become dependent on these ups and downs of living. Sobriety must live a life of its own. ~ Alcoholics Anonymous

5 comments:

peanut said...

Dear Scott,

I like that idea of sobriety having a "life of it's own."

That helps me realize that, no matter what happens, nothing can screw with that life. I have and still do protect it - no matter what.

Now, if I can just do that with the smoking issue. I'll get there !

Love you

Tabitha.Montgomery said...

Your gratitude lists are always so honest and insightful Scott W..
Thank you for sharing.
xo

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Dear God: Please grant me patience!

NOW!!!!!

Amen.

;)

Pammie said...

How long does this non-judgemental practice take? It's starting to wear on my nerves and I'm not getting much better. Maybe I'm approaching it wrong. You ARE helping me with that.

Scott M. Frey said...

wow, two biggies.... patience and being judgmental... there's two I continue to work on, probably always will!