IF THE ONLY PRAYER YOU SAID IN YOUR LIFE WAS "THANK YOU", THAT WOULD SUFFICE. ~Meister Eckhart

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Oh! Thank heaven for Seven Eleven!

You simply will not be the same person two months from now after consciously giving thanks each day for the abundance that exists in your life. And you will have set in motion an ancient spiritual law: the more you have and are grateful, the more will be given you. ~Sarah Ban Breathnach

Today I am grateful...
  • that I surrendered and got out of bed at 4:00AM after lying there for what seemed like an eternity. Yesterday I overslept, today I couldn't get back to sleep. I will return shortly to catch up some.
  • for the television remote off button. I am so tired of hearing about all the death and destruction in Houston. Murders and car wrecks. I just don't need that kind of news.
  • that I managed to stay in the day yesterday. I was physically off and still may be today, time will tell, but I got to a meeting and did some work and sweated profusely in this damn heat and napped and had dinner with R&J and watched another episode of Rome.
  • that what I have today I would have never dreamed of having. I get to keep it if I keep my spiritual condition conditioned.
  • that somehow, for three and a half years, I have been willing to do what was suggested to stay sober and have a spiritually fulfilling life
  • that there are those, like you, who travel with me and there are even those who just observe
Nobody's any better than anyone else. We're all just trying to stay away from a drink. The God that I was looking for, over here, over there; in some guy, the right motorcycle, the best tattoo. And all the time it was right here inside. And it's hope, and I have it every day if I choose to look for it. And you have it too, you have it right inside of yourself. I know that sounds like an after school special like happy little Care Bears or something, but it's really true. And you never have to drink again if you find that little light inside yourself. You are so set. It's really excellent. Sobriety rocks. ~Gail.

Sometimes recovery seems like a desert wasteland, desolate, unproductive. We can't imagine that anything can grow here. The conditions are too hostile. It is into just such situations that God comes. In a trackless wilderness, God makes a way. In a parched wasteland, God causes a stream of water to spring up. It is a remarkable thing when God finds a path for us when we are completely lost. It is a remarkable thing when God provides nourishment for us in a wasteland. But God does, time and time again. ~Dale and Juanita Ryan

8 comments:

dAAve said...

I really like that first (top) quote about gratitude. It is through writing lists of what I have that my spiritual condition progresses. Reminding myself of all the positive things in my life keeps me from focusing on the negative aspects. What a concept!

Redhead Gal said...

What a terrific post! Thank you for sharing it..it will remind to be a little more grateful today.

Pammie said...

I really liked this Scott! I don't want to be an observer...I want to travel with YOU!!
The quotes were great.

Anonymous said...

Isn't life wonderful? Especially when you know you have done the right thing.......hint hint, last night!!!!! lol To So's blogger friends, I took some matters into my own hands last night regarding my 15 yr old and a neighbor in his 20's that was coming onto her. I love being a strong woman!

As always I loved your quotes. I too start my day reading your blog, and I'm not just saying that because I am your sister!

So

peanut said...

Dear Scott,

I'm speechless. Thank YOU.

Shannon said...

I am traveling with you too.. no observer here, even though I want to sometimes... LOL
I hope your sleep gets back on track. It is HOt hot hot HERE as well... but we will live.
I have to turn off the news from time to time also...
(((HUGS))) just for you being you

Anonymous said...

I used to work for a man at Southwestern Bell that told his son they bought him at a 7-11. He believed it until he was about 9. Poor baby.

So

Scott M. Frey said...

You simply will not be the same person two months from now after consciously giving thanks each day for the abundance that exists in your life. And you will have set in motion an ancient spiritual law: the more you have and are grateful, the more will be given you. ~Sarah Ban Breathnach


I am all about that these days... Thank you for today's reminder!