IF THE ONLY PRAYER YOU SAID IN YOUR LIFE WAS "THANK YOU", THAT WOULD SUFFICE. ~Meister Eckhart

Thursday, September 15, 2005

09.15.04

Tradition Twelve - "Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our traditions, ever reminding us to place principles before personalities."

With characteristic intemperance, however, some of our newcomers cared not at all for secrecy. They wanted to shout A.A. from the housetops, and did. Alcoholics barely dry rushed about bright-eyed, buttonholing anyone who would listen to their stories. Others hurried to place themselves before microphones and cameras. Sometimes, they got distressingly drunk and let their groups down with a bang. They had changed from A.A. members into A.A. show-offs.

OUCH!!! That smarts!

Yesterday, in response to 'whatever it takes to stay sober', I overheard someone with a year say 'Yeah, as long as I have a roof over my head, a car and a cell phone.' I have those things and I have been willing to do whatever it takes to stay sober. But, would I go the distance, really make sobriety first place? I pray I do not have to relinquish roof, car and cell phone. I am truly grateful for those things! Today I said my prayers, asking God to keep me sober (because I can't do it), live honestly, to have my defects of character taken from me, for God's will and the power to carry that out and to do God's will...all these things to keep me sober and in forward motion. Because if I do not have these things, I might lose others.

1 comment:

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Well, since you are on day 778, I am counting, you are doing a great job, one day at a time.

Thank you for your gratitude list, Scott! It changed my perception today, and my post is on an attitude of gratitude, modeled after you.

Be well.