IF THE ONLY PRAYER YOU SAID IN YOUR LIFE WAS "THANK YOU", THAT WOULD SUFFICE. ~Meister Eckhart

Saturday, July 16, 2005

07.16.05

Perceptions and Perspectives

1 a : to attain awareness or understanding of, vs. b : the capacity to view things in their true relations or relative importance

It's Saturday morning and I am awake and relatively alert which is a big change from the way things used to be. I couldn't perceive the reality of living a normal existence, or at least an existence without alcohol. But I slowly began to view my so called life as it existed, as pitiful as it was. After I first got sober and was out and about on a Saturday I was astonished at how many people were moving through the world, like it was a normal thing to do. Today I can move through the world and see it as just a normal thing. It's 9:00 a.m. and my blinds are open. Even that was something that never happened in the old days.

Lately we have had some monster rains and thunder storms and I feed off weather like that. Not much gives me greater pleasure than some big nasty weather events. The rain cleanses the city and Snowy gets a free car wash. We have a drought this summer and the news went on about it at length. Then the rains come and the news casts it in a negative light, saying 'We dodged the bullet' after a storm missed us. And when it does begin to rain and flood the media acts like its Armageddon, that this is the first time the floods have come since Noah. It's Texas, it's flat, Houston was built on a swamp and there is not much run off room for the water when the bayous get crowded and yard maintenance crews, with their hateful gasoline powered blowers, push all the debris down the storm drains.

Today I am grateful for perceptions and perspectives I never had the ability to see in my past life. I have been given much in sobriety and today I will not drink or smoke a cigarette because I am a non-drinker and a non-smoker. Yipee!

Also grateful today for a new recovery blogger, SoberInsanity. Go welcome her to the blogosphere!

4 comments:

dAAve said...

Houston has great weather. We have seasons All four of them. Often times, all four of them in one day.

Grace said...

We've had a few of those storms too Scott, and I love em! I have to say your grateful attitude always lifts me! :-)

Anonymous said...

We got some of that rain up here in San Antonio, too. Nice; and I was thinking the same thing about Saturdays. I had to get up early to take the car to the shop. Last night when I was setting my alarm I was pleased that it would be no big deal dragging myself out of bed to get things done. Good blog, I enjoy it.

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

There is more to be revealed.

But you are right, life and the way we live AND accept are completely different.

These past few days, I have had to practice acceptance quite a bit, and have stayed close.

Be well.