IF THE ONLY PRAYER YOU SAID IN YOUR LIFE WAS "THANK YOU", THAT WOULD SUFFICE. ~Meister Eckhart

Sunday, April 24, 2005

I am but a visitor on this planet

Very

I am a believer in reincarnation. It makes sense to me. I also believe the universe is ultimately fair in its total construction. It is this sense of ultimate fairness that led me to my beliefs. There are persons born into a world of wealth, replete with all the trappings. This of course does not insure that person will be ultimately happy in their lifetime. There are also persons born to abject poverty, and many of them are the happiest people on Earth. There are those too, born with severe physical deformities or mental illness. We are all part of the weaving of the fabric of life, the warp and woof (the horizontal and vertical threads that make up fabric). Would it be fair that a soul has only one chance at the human experience? Would it be fair that a soul only have the experience of happiness while another has only the experience of misery? I believe that the universe, higher power, god, or whatever you want to refer to it, has fairness as its basis.

I might be wrong, but it makes my life here easier to understand. My soul chose this body and these experiences for this lifetime. There are things I have to learn. Two of these lessons for me this time around are fear and acceptance.

This morning I was browsing for quotes on spiritual awakening. Some are as follows:

The real lessons of life are learned by recognizing and coming to terms with being human. It is how we stand up to failure and duress which really marks our progress in life. Sometimes one of the most important lessons is to learn to just let go of the past.

The test of reincarnation for a soul coming to Earth is the conquering of fear in a human body. A soul grows by trying to overcome all negative emotions connected to fear through perseverance in many lifetimes, often returning to the spirit world bruised or hurt.

We get kudos for doing well on the hard worlds. We are called the adventurous ones by those who don't travel much.

Most people are unhappy; and they are unhappy because there is no love in their hearts.

Always know and remember that you are more than your physical body.

The next outward layer is what we think others think of us. Attempting to keep up, or leading a totally reactive existence--which is what many people do--can if you allow this lifestyle to take over, lead to a veritable hell on earth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have my own spiritual beliefs and don't know whether reincarnation happens, but the concept is certainly a fascinating one.

There are some who believe that reincarnation was left out of the Bible to differentiate it from other teachings. At least a couple of passages in the New Testament could be interpreted to support that thesis:

-> And they asked him, "What then? Are you Elijah?" He said, "I am not." "Are you the prophet?" And he answered, "No." (John 1:21)

-> And Jesus went on with his disciples, to the villages of Caesare'a Philip'pi; and on the way he asked his disciples, "Who do men say that I am?" And they told him, "John the Baptist; and others say, Eli'jah; and others one of the prophets." (Mark 8:27)

Those two passages always baffled my little mind. That is, if they didn't believe in reincarnation, then why would some people believe Jesus was a person who had already lived and died? Like anything, the Bible can be interpreted in many ways and the same with the two passages mentioned, but they always stuck out for me.

Scott, thanks for some spiritual food for thought!
Bo